Friday, June 03, 2005

First post is the hardest

Looking at a blank page and realizing that it will be read by others is daunting. Especially so since I want to use this for people I know but I don't know who might see it throughout the world.

Oh well, I'll just write for those for whom I started this project and see where else it may go.

This is started primarily for the Koinonia Class at Calvary Baptist Church in Denver, Colorado. This is a class of adults who are near (or maybe into) retirement, but who are eager to keep learning about how to be a Christian in an increasingly secular society.

My wife, Lindsey, and I have the privilege of teaching this class. Since the class won't be meeting this summer, we will try to keep the dialogue going through this blog.

This summer we will study the booklet, "What On Earth Am I Here For?" by Rick Warren. This is an edited version of the first seven chapters of Pastor Warren's now famous book, "The Purpose Drive Life".

To start, go here to get a copy of my outline of the study booklet. Copy it and print it out. I recommend that you review the outline to get an overall view of Rick Warren's message. Starting next week we will examine one chapter at a time.

Answer this question for yourself, then post a comment* if you like: In one sentence, what do you see (from reading the outline) as the overall message of the booklet? *(To post a comment for everyone else to see, click on "comment" at the end of this post)

Next, read this column by Peggy Noonan from OpinionJournal.com about Ashley Smith's Christian witness to escaped convict Brian Nichols as she read from Chapter 33 of "The Purpose Driven Life".

Answer these questions for yourself, then post a comment if you like:

(1) What is your response to this column by Peggy Noonan?

(2) Ashley Smith said "It mentioned something about what you thought your purpose in life was. What were you--what talents were you given? What gifts were you given to use?" How would you answer these questions for your own life?

[To make a comment, click on the lightly colored word "comments" below, to email this post to a friend, click on the icon that looks like an envelope.]

2 comments:

Rudy Antle said...

I'm excited about using this approach for a Bible Study when getting together in person won't work.

I encourage each class member (and others outside the class who might want to join the discussion)to sign up below, create a blogger account, and post comments.

Blessings to all future bloggers.

Rudy Antle said...

My own one-sentence perception of the overall message is a long sentence. I am here on earth by God's plan, so I could have a loving relationship with Him and become like His son Jesus Christ, in preparation for eternal life in heaven--the real life for which I was created.

About the Peggy Noonan article, I believe Brian Nichols' meeting with Ashely Smith was not just a coincidence. God was involved.

It seems that she had a very hard life, but she also had a deep personal encounter with Jesus Christ that changed her.

Somehow both the Bible and the Purpose Driven Life book were involved in that encounter. In addition, some person (or more than one) was also involved, because her love for others, even this criminal, probably came from experiencing that love herself.

If I simply tell my story, and tell what God is like and what Jesus has done for me, it could change someone else's life too. Wouldn't that be a wonderful purpose for my own life?