Monday, December 18, 2006

Merry Christmas

I much prefer the phrase “Merry Christmas” to any substitute. I was in the grocery store and stopped by one of the tables where a sample of some product was offered. As I started to leave, the very cheerful lady who had offered me a sample said, “Happy Holidays”. My response was to ask, “And which holiday are we talking about?” Her answer was, “Anyone you want to celebrate.”

Well, the one I celebrate this time of year is Christmas. I appreciate someone recognizing my holiday and not being afraid to speak the word “Christmas”. With the vast majority of Americans relating to Christmas more than to other holidays, I’ll say Merry Christmas unless I know they are of a different faith. If I know the person I’m addressing is Jewish, I’ll make it a point to mention Hanukah. I would not think it polite to ignore a friend’s religion and just say “Happy Holidays”. Neither would I say “Happy Holidays” to someone in my family or a friend. So, to all of you, “Merry Christmas” and a Happy New Year.

No comments: