Monday, January 29, 2007

Slavery, Sojourner Truth, and Us Today

In chapter 7, "Wrestling Match", Philip Yancey quotes Sojourner Truth. Her prayer was haunting, so I had to see if it was online. Here is a part of her prayer as she was trying to retrieve her son (who was sold to an out-of-state slaveowner).

'Oh, God, you know how much I am distressed, for I have told you again and again. Now, God, help me get my son. If you were in trouble, as I am, and I could help you, as you can me, think I would n't do it? Yes, God, you know I would do it.'

You can find the quote of her prayer in this chapter of her online biography: http://digital.library.upenn.edu/women/truth/1850/1850-19.html.
I read the entire biography, located at
The Narrative of Sojourner Truth website, trying to locate the quotation. It was so intriguing that I couldn’t stop. Then, when I read in Christianity Today about the movie "Amazing Grace" that’s coming out February 23rd, I decided to get more involved. Click on "The Amazing Change," here or in the linked article to find out about it. Slavery is evil and it is here today. Let’s see what we can do about it.

No comments: