Sunday, May 21, 2006

Jesus and Salvation--Part 2

The Book We're Using

In my last post I said the series would follow the outline of the book “Is Jesus The Only Savior?” by James R. Edwards. This will not be a review of the book, nor a study of just this one book, but by following the book’s outline anyone who has a personal copy will know the path the study will take.

Whether you agree with the book at every point is not the point. The study will probably raise more questions than it answers. If you agree with the book, submit your comments. If you disagree with the book (or my comments), submit your comments. We will all learn together, as was my hope in starting my blog.

Here is the outline of the book: James R. Edwards, Is Jesus The Only Savior? (Grand Rapids/Cambridge: 2005)

Introduction: The Shore and the Current
1. The Quest of the Historical Jesus
2. The Jesus Seminar
3. How Reliable Is The New Testament as a Historical Document?
4. What Can We Know about the Jesus of History?
5. Did Jesus Consider Himself God?
6. Jesus—The Savior of he World
7. Can the Gospel Compete in a Pluralistic World?
8. Is a Savior from Sin Meaningful in a Day of Moral Relativism?
9. The Gospel and Postmodernism
10. Does an Exclusive Savior Threaten World Peace?
11. How Should Christians Think About Other Religions?
12. The Mystery of the Incarnation

Isn’t that a daunting list of subjects? Doesn’t it pose an important list of questions? This should be enough to keep us occupied for one summer. I’m looking forward to the journey, and I’m glad you are coming along with me.

No comments: