Friday, December 21, 2007

Freedom and Opportunity

“The Anchoress” blog has a wonderful story about her experience talking with some immigrants to the USA:

Same old America: Freedom and Opportunity
“Can I ask, why here? Why did you come to America?”
As it turned out, the fellow helping me did not speak much English. He turned to his cousin, the receptionist, for translation, and I asked again.
“More freedom,” she said immediately, without first translating. “America has freedom.”
“Opportunity,” said the girl at the next workspace. “We can have small business and grow it and make bigger business. We can be anything.”
By then the receptionist had translated to her cousin and he had responded. He smiled hugely at me while she told me what he had said.
“America is a great country where we can use all our energy, all our knowledge, all our creativity. There is freedom.”
“Opportunity,” the other girl repeated. “Anyone can be anything, do anything in America.”
“Yes,” said the receptionist, who is pregnant. “My son can be president, if he wants.”

No comments: