Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Setting Goals-a bizarre way to start

This is a bizarre way to start a column on setting goals, but it’s very effective. Read the entire column (it’s short) at http://www.scriptoriumdaily.com/2008/01/02/setting-goals-for-the-new-year/. It’s called “Setting Goals For The New Year”, by JP Moreland at ScriptoriumDaily.com.

“It’s the time of year when we set New Year’s resolutions. However, before you do, I offer you something to ponder. Suppose I invited you over to play a game of Monopoly. When you arrive I announce that the game is going to be a bit different. Before us is the Monopoly board, a set of jacks, a coin, the television remote and a refrigerator. I grant you the first turn, and puzzlingly, inform you that you may do anything you want: fill the board with hotels, toss the coin in the air, grab a few jacks, fix a sandwich, or turn on the television. You respond by putting hotels all over the board and smugly sit back as I take my turn. I respond by dumping the board upside down and tossing the coin in the air. Somewhat annoyed, you right the board and replenish it with hotels. I turn on the television and dump the board over again.”

No comments: